Program Specialist – Writing
Under the direction of the Director of Curriculum and Instruction, provide support in curriculum and professional learning; coordinate and implement the District Writing Program; serve as a liaison between curriculum leaders, instructional personnel and other District staff.
- Provide support in standards-based writing curriculum.
- Provide support in curriculum and professional learning; collaborate with others to identify professional learning needs necessary to support established standards and adopted materials.
- Provide support in textbook and curriculum adoption process; organize the development of content area standards and benchmarks.
- Serve as writing coach.
- Serve as a liaison between subject area committees, instructional personnel and other District staff; respond to inquiries and provide information concerning the District curriculum and assigned activities.
- Provide support to classroom teachers with the implementation of the Writing Standards.
- Assist in the development and implementation of program goals and curriculum.
- Assist classroom teachers in diagnosing curricular weaknesses through interim assessment and planning appropriate differentiated instruction; provide professional development and training concerning research and teaching techniques.
- Assist in the assessment of student skills; assist staff with analyzing and interpreting related data.
- Assist classroom teachers with identifying appropriate interventions for students.
- Provide assistance to classroom teachers in supporting the needs of English learners.
- Conduct demonstration lessons that model effective instructional strategies.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports related to assigned activities; process forms and applications as necessary.
- Collaborate with site administrators, program personnel, students and parents to enhance district instructional programs.
- Provide support in Interventions and Summer School Program.
- Coordinate assigned subject area committees; revise and edit standards and benchmarks in response to committee input.
- Provide leadership to District writing program and assessments.
- Attend and participate in assigned meetings and conferences.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports related to assigned activities.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and assigned software.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Demonstrated Knowledge and Abilities
- California Content Standards
- Curricular practices, research and methodologies.
- Instructional strategies used in the enhancement of curricular programs.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Standardized and performance based assessment practices.
- School climate and culture.
- Curriculum, goals and objectives.
- Principles of training and providing work direction.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Public speaking techniques.
- Record-keeping and report preparation techniques.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Provide support in standards-based classrooms.
- Provide support in curriculum and professional learning.
- Coordinate curriculum adoption process in assigned areas.
- Serve as a liaison between subject area committees, instructional personnel and other District staff.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Learn District organization, operations, policies and objectives.
- Learn department and program objectives and goals.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Pal and organize work.
- Maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
- Move hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- Hear and speak to exchange information.
- See to read a variety of materials.
Education and Experience Required:
- Any combination equivalent to: bachelor’s degree and three years teaching experience.
Licenses and Other Requirements
- Valid California Teaching Credential
- Valid California Class C driver’s license
- Office and classroom environment