Under limited supervision to coordinate and personally perform responsible accounting and clerical work in connection with the timely preparation of payroll and related reports consistent with applicable laws, regulations, policies, procedures, bargaining contracts, and district policy; and do related work as required with the job description.
Directly responsible to designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Computes rates of pay, deductions, and fringe benefits for classified and certificated monthly, hourly and substitute employees
- Calculates and maintains records of all workers’ compensation, state disability, differential payment, and working out-of-class pay
- Tracks jury duty payments and personal payments from employees, and other payroll deductions as required each pay period
- Completes employment verification as required
- Answers and prepares benefit audits when required
- Processes billing invoices for payment from outside or inside services
- Calculates and issues stipend payments as required
- Prepares warrants and register sheets and forwards to the County Superintendent of Schools for auditing and processing
- Maintains records of payroll corrections
- Issues stop payments for stale and lost or stolen warrants, and reissues as necessary; reviews and audits information covering changes in status, overtime, absences and other leaves
- Posts and maintains employee sick leave and vacation accruals and records
- Maintains familiarity with payroll applications relative to union contracts
- Audits and balances reports prior to final run, and make corrections before payroll is produced
- Prepares budget transfers to correct payroll charges as necessary
- Posts substitute teacher work days for tracking of total work days per school year, and reports to PERS, STRS as required
- Controls data entry and output functions
- Operates various peripheral data processing equipment
- Understands accounting principles, practices and procedures
- Performs complex accounting clerical work requiring use of independent judgment and initiative
- Posts data and makes mathematical calculations rapidly and accurately
- Understands and carries out oral and written directions
- Trains and supervises subordinate employees
- Analyzes data and reports
- Performs related work consistent with the job description.
DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Operation of a computer and assigned software.
- Terminology, processes and operations of assigned office or program.
- Record-keeping and filing techniques.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Basic research methods and report preparation techniques.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Applicable laws, codes, rules and regulations.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Basic budgeting practices regarding monitoring and control.
- Basic math.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, staff and administration.
- Interpret, apply and explain applicable laws, codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Answer telephones and greet the public courteously.
- Maintain records, logs and files.
- Learn principles of training and providing work direction and guidance to others.
- Compile, assemble, verify and prepare data for records and reports.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Compose correspondence and written materials independently.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Plan and organize work.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and assigned software.
- Be able to multitask.
- Maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
- Move hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- Hear and speak to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- See to read a variety of materials.
- Bend at the waist, kneel or crouch to file materials.
- Type at a speed of thirty-five (35) words per minute
- Operate calculator, pass qualifying test.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles and procedures, spreadsheet and word processing programs desirable.