Family Services Assistant – Even Start Family Literacy Program
Under supervision, to perform a variety of student assistance activities in support of the Family Services department for identified students and as directed by the Family Services department staff in a variety of settings; to provide assistance to identified students and their parents; and to do related work as required, consistent with the job description.
Directly responsible to the Director of Family Services and/or designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serves as a link between home and school to solve problems affecting identified students
- Assists identified students to resolve problems and develop coping skills
- Meets with parents at home or at school or contacts them by phone concerning student needs
- Provides information and referrals to community services
- Assists with the completion of applications and collection of information needed to provide support to identified students
- Makes appointments and provides transportation for parents and students at risk to appropriate agencies for services
- Provides liaison with other support agencies; assists with parent involvement activities
- Attends inservices arranged by District staff at various District sites
- Prepares reports about individual achievement, attendance, and health status of identified students
- Facilitates the ongoing participation of parents of identified students in parent involvement activities
- Coordinates services with community agencies
- Communicates correctly in oral and written form
- Understands and carries out oral and written instructions
- Maintains cooperative relations with the supervising counselors, staff, and parents
- Performs basic arithmetical calculations accurately.
- Must pass qualifying tests.
- Must possess a valid California motor vehicle operator’s license.
- 12 or more units in Early Childhood Education from an accredited college or university
- Knowledge of community resources/agencies.
- Knowledge of county resources/agencies.
- Experience in community advocate work.
- Ability to do follow-up, keep records, and write reports.
- Second language.