Under the supervision of the Chief Business Officer to plan, organize and direct operations and activities involved in the design, construction, implementation and completion of the Districts Bond Program facility construction, renovation and repair projects; coordinate and direct communications, personnel and resources to meet District needs and assure proper and timely completion of construction and renovation activities.
Directly responsible to the Chief Business Officer and/or designated administrator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervises, plans, organizes and coordinates Bond Measure construction and modernization projects and all other facility projects in collaboration with management, staff, architects, contractors and other consultants and vendors.
- Coordinates the design, adoption and implementation of District energy efficiency projects including solar, energy management, and utility upgrades projects.
- Coordinates project activities with other Department personnel, site administrators, community representatives and other involved participants, in the preparation of the design, project descriptions, scope and specifications, including hazardous materials abatement and disposal activities as required and directed, for architects, contractors and maintenance personnel, and reviewing and assisting in making changes in plans and specifications.
- Prepare project information and coordinate project applications for review and approval by the Division of State Architects and other oversight agencies.
- Review and evaluate resource utilization plans and project progress and determine necessary actions to resolve problems.
- Monitor projects to assure compliance with established laws, codes, ordinances, regulations, policies and procedures, established contracts, standards and specifications.
- Direct bid and award process, including review and analyzing of bid proposals, contract documents and related materials for compliance with approved plans and specifications.
- Prepare and issue Requests for Qualifications for architects, engineers and other contractors for District construction projects; review and analyze contractor qualifications; and provide recommendations concerning contractor selection.
- Provide technical expertise, information and assistance to the CBO regarding construction processes and procedures.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of narrative and statistical records, reports and files related to projects, contractors, plans, specifications, financial activity and assigned duties.
- Assist in the development and preparation of the annual budget for facilities improvement needs; monitor financials to assure expenditures are within established limitations.
- Conduct job-start meetings and communicate with other administrators, personnel and outside agencies including bidders, architects, contractors and developers on the design, construction, or major alteration of school buildings, including changes in plans and specifications, and to coordinate activities and programs, resolve issues and conflicts and exchange information.
- Advises on and approves work requisitions; prepares plans, sketches and specifications for work projects.
- Attend and participate in various meetings as assigned.
- Develops in-service training programs.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Principles and practices of administration, including office and personnel management and budgetary practices.
- Working methods and procedures used in the building trades.
- Laws and regulations pertaining to the construction and repair of school facilities.
- Construction and modernization project management.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- The person in this position may be called in to work for any emergencies related to oversight of project construction and modernization.
- Prepare and interpret plans and specifications.
- Estimate costs of construction and maintenance work.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and assigned software;
- Use appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
- Produce oral and written reports.
- Ability to produce and use databases and spreadsheets and project management computer systems.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Speak, read and write English at a level required for satisfactory job performance.
- Maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
- Walk or stand for extended periods of time.
- Education in a recognized college or university with a specialization in engineering or architecture or related field. Bachelor’s Degree desired.
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in public school construction and modernization, facilities and plant maintenance.
- Five years in a responsible supervisory capacity.
- Must have a valid California driver’s license and a clean DMV record.
- Indoor and outdoor environment.
- May be required to drive as needed.
- Regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors.
- Seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions.
- Office environment.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
SALARY & WORKYEAR
- Management salary range 53/1-5
- 225 day work year