Lead Mechanic – Heavy Duty Equipment
Under limited supervision, to perform skilled mechanical repairs and maintenance on gasoline and diesel powered vehicles and other mechanical equipment; to assist in the scheduling of vehicle servicing and procurement of parts and supplies; and to do related work as required, consistent with job description.
Directly responsible to designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Coordinates the work of other transportation maintenance personnel
- Keeps supervisor informed of the work performance of assigned employees
- Diagnoses mechanical problems and performs complex mechanical repairs on gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles and other automotive equipment
- Inspects district mechanical equipment and carries out a preventive maintenance program
- Makes all types of repairs on gasoline and diesel equipment, such as major and minor engine overhauls
- Rebuilds transmissions and differentials
- Repairs, installs, and adjusts clutches
- Replaces and adjusts valves and bearings, fuel systems, ignitions, and carburetors
- Relines and adjusts brakes
- Rebuilds air compressors
- Repairs and replaces starters, alternators, distributors, relays, and other automotive electrical equipment
- Lubricates and services district vehicles
- Maintains records of repairs and maintenance work
- Contacts parts dealers for necessary parts and supplies
- Assists in the procurement of parts and supplies
- Makes emergency repairs to vehicles and equipment
- Diagnose mechanical defects and make appropriate repairs
- Skillfully and efficiently repair and overhaul automotive equipment
- Use standard tools and garage equipment; accurately estimate time and materials for repair jobs
- Keep accurate records and parts inventories
Must pass qualifying tests.
Possession of a valid California Class B or 2 driver’s license; has or can qualify for a Class A commercial drivers license.
Four years of Journeyman level shop experience in maintenance and repair of all mechanical and electrical vehicle components, including direct involvement with diesel-powered units.