E-News for Tuesday, August 29, 2017
First Day of School Is Tomorrow! Wednesday, August 30, 2017
The first day of school for all students is tomorrow, Wednesday, August 30.
Elementary schools begin classes at 8:00 am. Middle schools begin classes at 8:30 am. Logan High School begins first-period classes at 8:15 am, while Conley-Caraballo High School starts at 9:00 am.
Race to the Top Quarterly Report - July 2017
The latest report from our Race to the Top External Evaluator was completed in July. It is a summary of data collected from January to May 2017. Most of the data is from the parent, teacher and student surveys conducted last winter and spring. Findings are listed by each project area as identified in the Race to the Top District grant, and the summary on page two provides a nice overview of the results.
New Haven Equity Council
The New Haven Equity Council, formed in 2009 as the Equity Task Force, will continue to meet once per month this school year and will continue to address the priority issues of:
- Improving the level to which curriculum, instruction, and grading address students’ cultural and individual needs, including materials, learning modalities, learning targets and assessments.
- Ensuring that students have safe and adequate opportunities to address issues of race, culture, gender orientation and religion by providing for student voice and perspective, and a process for democratic action.
- Supporting district staff and families with understanding the definition of Equity and Social Justice, by providing professional development and workshops.
Please visit our website for information meeting dates; curriculum resources, including Charlottesville Curriculum; recommended titles for Staff and students.
Measure M Project Update
In November of 2014, Measure M was passed by District voters by more than a two-to-one margin with 5,675 votes, securing over 67% voter approval. The District is thankful to the Board for its leadership and support in this effort and also thanks all the community members and other stakeholders for their unwavering support and commitment. Below, please find an update on current Measure M projects:
- Solar Installation Project:
- Phase 1 of the project is now complete at the following sites:
- Alvarado Elementary
- Emanuel Elementary
- Cesar Chavez Middle
- Itliong-Vera Cruz Middle School,
- Decoto School for Independent Study/Adult School,
- Central Kitchen, and
- Educational Services Center (District Office)
- Phase 2 of the project is underway:
- Hillview Crest Elementary: Construction is finishing up and should be complete by the end of September. The parking lot is open and accessible during this time.
- James Logan High School: the main parking lot is still under construction. Parking and access to the parking lot will be limited during construction, through the end of September.
- Barnard-White Campus: Solar panels will be installed on multiple roofs throughout Barnard White Middle School once approved designs are received from the Division of State Architect (DSA).
- 21st Century Classrooms:
- Itliong-Vera Cruz Middle School: Construction is now on its way after some delays on the review process by the utility company. This project is expected to be completed by the end of November.
- District Wide Paving:
- Routine preventive maintenance of seal-coating and striping of the parking lots were done at Delaine Eastin ES, Guy Emanuele ES, Itliong-Vera Cruz MS, Cesar Chavez MS, New Haven Adult school, and the District Office.
- Site Modernizations:
- Pioneer Elementary School:
- Replacement of Playground Structure: Installation of a new playground play structure with synthetic grass over rubber poured in place surface will be completed by the end of September.
- Modernization: This project is in the early stages of planning to finalize architects and bidding process.
- Searles Elementary School:
- Currently in design phase. The Architects are working with district staff, site principal, and the site design committee to finalize designs for the modernization of Searles Elementary School.
Luna Mexicana: Day of the Dead Celebration
The Division of Teaching and Learning and the Oakland Ballet Company are proud to present Luna Mexicana: Day of the Dead Celebration. This professional theatrical dance production celebrates Dias De Los Muertos (Day Of The Dead). It will be an exciting, lavish, vibrant evening of visual and performing art and entertainment.
This event will be held at the James Logan High School Center for the Performing Arts on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 6:00pm. General admission tickets are $15.00 + processing fees and can be purchased online here.
Advanced ticket purchases are highly recommended.
Join New Haven Unified School District and the Oakland Ballet for this incredible evening.
United States Air Force Jazz Ensemble Coming to Hayward, October 3
The Airmen of Note, the premier jazz ensemble of the United States Air Force, is coming to our area! Sponsored by the Chabot College Music Department, the Airmen of Note will be performing on Tuesday, October 3, starting at 7:30 pm, at the Reed L. Buffington Visual and Performing Arts Center, located at 25555 Hesperian Blvd, in Hayward.
This is a free performance.
The Mutt Strut Is Coming!
Attention dog lovers! The New Haven Schools Foundation is once again presenting its super-popular “Mutt Strut” event on Saturday, October 7. This is a great opportunity to bring the family to walk or run with your dog on the beautiful grounds of the Masonic Home in the Union City hills. There will be games and costume contests, a pet adoption center, and pet-related vendors. Individual and family tickets are on sale now at www.muttstrut.org. Guests receive an event t-shirt and a goody bag with lots of treats. Sign up before September 22 to get the early bird discount!
Save the Date for “Diamonds in Education”
The New Haven Schools Foundation’s annual gala raises funds that support educational and extra-curricular programs in our schools. It will be held on Saturday, October 21 at the Paradise Palace / Mirage Ballroom, and features dinner and cocktails, casino games and prizes, DJ dancing, and auction items. This year, it will also recognize the NHUSD teachers and classified employees of the 2016-17 school year, and honor a local organization and an individual who have given extraordinary effort to supporting education in our community. Tickets are available online, at www.nhsfoundation.org. Please join in to support this worthy cause!
"Meet & Greet" for Parents of Students with Special Needs
The Mission Valley SELPA Community Advisory Committee is hosting a "Meet & Greet" on Thursday, September 21, 2017, at 6:00pm at Kids’ Zone, 725 Whipple Avenue, Union City, CA 94587. Join special education administrators and New Haven families for appetizers and conversation. Learn about what’s new in special education in New Haven Unified School District and network with other parents of students with special needs.
2017 Alameda County Career EXPO, Tuesday, September 19
The Alameda County Business Development Group, in partnership with the Alameda County Workforce Development Board, East Bay Works, and the Oakland Workforce Development Board is proud to present the 2nd Annual Alameda County Career EXPO!
Job Seekers: Be prepared to present your best self! Click here to register early and submit your resume to be viewed by our growing list of employers. As we move closer to the day, the employers will notify our team if they would like to schedule an interview with you for the day of the event.
Employers: We look forward to bringing you the best of the best in Alameda County's workforce. If you're interested in setting up a booth at the 2nd Annual Alameda County Career EXPO, please Click Here for pricing details.
For more information regarding this event, please visit www.accareerexpo.com
October is Filipino American History Month
October is Filipino American History Month! To kick it off, the Filipino-American Educators Association (FAEAC) is hosting its biennial conference on September 29-30 in San Diego. PASE (Pilipino-American Society For Education) will be co-hosting this conference. Curriculum for Assembly bills 123 ( Filipinos in the Farm Labor Movement) and 199 (World War II in the Philippines) will be debuted. These lessons are aligned to the new CA History/Social Science Framework. For information on registration, please visit faeac.net.
PASE, in partnership with FANHS ( Filipino-American National Historical Society) will be hosting a Filipino-American History Month Celebration at Itliong-Vera Cruz Middle School on Saturday, October 14th, from 10am-4pm. The event is free and open to the public. Please visit this link for more information.
New Haven Adult School
Classes start September 11th. Visit our NEW website at www.mynhas.org for up to date information. For our complete Fall & Winter 2017 brochure, click here.
High School Diploma & GED: registration Aug 29 & 30